Requirements to Obtain a Weapons Carry License (WCL)
1. Must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible lawful alien. (Additional documentation required to establish alien status).
2. Must be 21 years of age, unless active duty military or have an honorable discharge.
3. Must be a resident of Muscogee County or active duty U.S. Armed Forces and reside in Columbus/Fort Benning.
4. Required documentation:
a.) A copy of Birth Certificate or U.S. Passport AND Driver's License/State ID showing current Muscogee County address.
b.) Active duty U.S. Armed Forces who have an out of state Driver's License must also provide a military ID and a current lease or a current utility bill (power, water or gas only) showing Muscogee County/Fort Benning address.
5. Required fee: $75.00 cash, money order, credit/debit card, or $74.75 (with a self-addressed stamped #10 envelope) payable to: Probate Court.
Requirements to RENEW a Weapons Carry License
To be eligible to RENEW your WCL, you must bring your Muscogee County Driver's License/State ID Card* with your current address and your current Georgia WCL must not be more than 30 days expired. The cost is $35..
* If you are Military and have an out of state license, you must bring your Military ID and current lease or utility bill.
Weapons Carry License applications are processed through the Probate Court Monday through Friday from 8:30AM to 4:00PM.
Sheriff's Office fingerprinting hours are Monday through Friday 8:30AM to 11:30AM and 1:00PM to 4:30PM. Please note any new applicants signed in after 4:00 will need to return for fingerprinting the next business day.
Click here for more information on WCL regulations.